Interesting challenges on a project I'm working with at the moment. I recently recieved a commission to produce photographic work which will be permantly installed in the new Health & well being centre, opening on the Antrim rd.
Its quite an interesting building and I certainly feel encouraged to be selected amongst a number of local artists.
I have been given two spaces to work with. One is a ground floor cafe with two seperate walls to work with, which is fairly straightforward. The 2nd is a top floor beautifully designed staff canteen with views overlooking Cave Hill & West Belfast through a series of simple but elegangtly placed windows.
The areas I have been given are the spaces between the windows around the circumference of the wall. This creates several issues, as the space is already in a way a work of design/art in the way it has been architecturally created and presents the outside landscape to the viewer. Any added visual material will not only contend with the view but also break up the continuity of the entire wall.
It is an interesting predicament to overcome before I can create the piece/pieces and how they are be mounted on the wall.
In some way the work needs to respond to the space itself but also the world outside without intruding but sit comfortably within it.
Answers on a postcard too.....
3 comments:
Hey Ben hows it going? Looks like an interesting piece for sure. I can see the predicament from the photo there. I dont know what you could do with it, challenging for sure, maybe like doing photos of text describing the view, in a viewpoint style, except a bit more abstract.
Hows things with you anyway, still flat out? Hows Alyson? hope all is well with you jk
another idea from the spa!
how about getting a photographs of the views that lies behind the concrete pillars that separate the windows, and then mount them in such a way that the wall actually looks like a big glass window!
how about taking out the 'a' in my first sentence above!
Post a Comment